Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Elysium

Elysium is a movie that has been heavily promoted. I've seen many mixed reviews on this movie and after finally seeing it I can understand. The trailer does make it out to be pretty epic. It's not quite on the same scale a District 9, which was directed by the same man, but it's still a very good movie.

When it comes down to it this is a movie about a boy and a girl. Matt Damon plays the boy part, neat twist right? He grows up with one of his close friends played by Alice Braga. He's an ex convict that is living on Earth, like most people. How ever there is a disc in the sky called Elysium where the rich and the "citizens" live. They have machines that can fix any medical issues. They allude to the fact that it may even keep you alive indefinitely. I really didn't have any issues with the story. It makes good towards the end and finishes in a way that is predictable.

As far as the look of this movie. If you have seen District 9 it's looks almost exactly like it. That is why there has been so many comparisons and why people have been bringing up a District 9 sequel. In many parts of the movie you could easily say hey, this is the sequel. The ships were great, Blomkamp seems to know how to make a world and make all things mesh and look believable.

I really enjoyed the movie but find my self on the edge as far as slapping my "must see" tagging to this movie. I really want to but then when I look at other movies I've added it to I think it falls juuuuuust shy, but, I'm going to give it a must see but only by a hair.

Entertainment - 6/10
Visuals - 8/10
Story - 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment