Saturday, August 24, 2013

Dredd

OK so I was asked my thoughts on this movie, Dredd. The first one was done way back in the day using Sylvester Stallone. This new one was done using an actor I really enjoy in Karl Urban. I first became aware of Urban during his role in The Chronicles of Riddick. As I remember it, the older version of Dredd wasn't something people rushed out to see. It was in the Stallone heyday so that helped it but I enjoyed it. I have not seen it since I was a younger man but I remember I liked watching whenever it was on TV. This newer version looked nice, the story was decent but I had no feelings for any of the characters whatsoever. If you didn't get told that was Karl Urban as Dredd you'd have never known.

The story takes place pretty much entirely inside a highrise building of the future which pretty much has nothing but thugs and lowlifes running it. Dredd entered the building do to a homicide and eventually uncovers drugs that slow your reality down. A part of this was when they would inject some one then push them off a balcony. The entire event would feel like it took for ever and you would feel every bit of pain when you hit the floor.

The look of the movie wasn't terrible. It didn't make me run out and tell my friends, guess what I saw last night, it didn't turn me off either. It was very bland and just....blah. It was there, again it didn't wow me at all.

This isn't a movie people need to run out to see. It will eventually show up on TV for free and you can check it out that way. I can't think of a movie I'd ever tell people not to see since everyone has different tastes but this isn't worth a purchase. If you were a fan of the comics or the old movie it's cool to take a look at, which is why I did. If you are looking for a movie to keep you entertained for the entire length, this isn't the movie for you. The movie was, what is was, and that was just a basic movie, that could have done so much more if the script or story was done differently. If it helped you feel for the characters. That's what I look for in a movie. Make me care about the people in it. The one character I felt a bit for was the women cop Olivia. She had a back story of growing up in one of these places and getting it out to "make good". Other then that, not much there for me.

Entertainment - 5/10
Visuals - 5/10
Story - 5/10

1 comment:

  1. I liked it. Olivia reminded me of the girl from Appleseed anime movie.

    ReplyDelete